Coral Gables, FL
Mr. Dewitt a South Florida native was born and raised in Key Biscayne, Florida. Mr. Dewitt’s professional experience prior to joining Brigham Moore includes acting as an Assistant City Attorney and Municipal Prosecutor for several cities in Broward and Palm Beach County as an associate attorney. Prior to beginning his practice of law, Mr. Dewitt served as an M1A1 Tank Operator for the U.S. Army in operation “Desert Storm.” Located in the Coral Gables office, his practice focuses on protecting the rights of property owners in eminent domain suits and litigating other private property rights issues against governmental entities. Mr. Dewitt is listed as a "Rising Star" for 2010 in Florida Super Lawyers.Areas of Practice
Eminent Domain, Inverse Condemnation, Property Rights Litigation, Regulatory TakingsPrior Professional Experience
- Experience includes eminent domain litigation on behalf of the condemning authority, and state appellate practice.
- Municipal prosecutions for several cities in Broward and Palm Beach County.
- Representation of cities during labor grievances and arbitrations.
- Representing the City of Boynton Beach during an Unemployment Appeals Commission appeal, Mr. Dewitt successfully argued the Commission’s failure to address newly discovered evidence. On appeal, the Fourth District Court of Appeal reversed and remanded the Unemployment Appeals Commission’s order.
City of Boynton Beach v. Unemployment Appeals Commission
- In 2005, Mr. Dewitt represented the City of Boynton Beach in an eminent domain action regarding attorney fees. Mr. Dewitt argued that the first offer letter from the City was conditional and did not constitute an “offer letter” for purposes of determining attorney’s fees. While the trial court determined the first letter served as a basis for awarding attorney’s fees, the Fourth District Court of Appeal reversed and remanded.
City of Boynton Beach v. Janots
- Nova Southeastern University, Shepard Broad Law Center, Juris Doctor, May 2004 magna cum laude
- The Florida State University, Bachelor of Science, Management, 1997
- Selected for inclusion in Florida Super Lawyers as a "Rising Star" for 2010
- Nova Law Review, Articles Editor
- Moot Court, 2002 Workers’ Compensation Team
- Teaching Assistant: Property
- Book Award: Legal Writing
- Dean’s List: Fall 2002, 2003 Winter 2002, 2003, 2004
- Co-author – No Pay No Play: How to solve the Non Paying Party Problem in Arbitration, with Richard Dewitt, Jr., Dispute Resolution Journal – April 2005.
- Veterans of Foreign War, Post 1966
- Richard enjoys fishing, tennis, and snowboarding in his spare time.